Thursday, April 14, 2011

New pictures and Sophia's birth story

He is getting to be so handsome
Cheese ball!
He is turning on the music for Sophia
Looks pretty comfy


Boy was this an adventure!!!

As many of you know Sophia was born on March 15th. What many of you may not know is that she was born via c -section. I will try and keep this brief. On the morning of the 15th I had mild contractions and throughout the later morning they started to get a bit stronger, I was very relieved that something was finally happening. The calls went out and my best friend Tracy was able to make it from the states(she was going to be in the room with us) I laboured at home for the next couple of hours until the contractions were 4-5 mins apart and lasting 30 sec or more. I was still able to talk through them and they weren't super bad. We checked in, and went up to labour and delivery. The nurse checked me and told me that I was only 1.5 cms, (which I was since week 37) I was super disappointed and the nurse kinda looked at me and told me that I still had a long way to go and that really there was no point in me staying up in L & D. bluntly told her that I was not going home and would walk around the hospital if I had to. Tracy Mike and I went down to Tim Hortons to get some snacks. We found a couple of seats in the main area of the hospital and passed the time people watching. Boy we sure had some good laughs. I was not able to talk through the contractions anymore and they were coming 2-3 mins apart. I thought it was time to go back up. After i was checked again and still no progress I was super frustrated. We left to labour elsewhere as the nurses were giving off a certain ' you don't need to be here, come back when the baby is coming out vibe' After what seemed forever and many contraction later I couldn't take it anymore, i needed something for pain. We went back in and finally my Dr was going to come in and assess the situation. At this point the contractions were very intense and i was having a hard time handling it. I started to panic which then turned into hyperventilating. Tracy and Mike were great at helping me with my breathing but It wasn't helping enough. Right before my Dr checked me my water broke, which I must say I was sooo happy about for 2 reasons: 1 my labour was progressing and 2, I have always wanted to know what it felt like for it to break on it's own.(weird I know) Anyhoo, there was merconium in my fluid which is very bad for the baby if she breathed it in, so that was a flag. At this point I really started to panic because in my head I thought that I would be having the baby really soon and I hadn't gotten my epidural yet. In reality I was only 3-4 cms and very far from having the baby. My hyperventaling got out of control to the point where I couldn't move my legs and my hands were stiff. I told the Drs I NEEDED something for the pain and to DO SOMETHING. He gave me the options and I took getting an epidural and having to go on Oxytocin to speed along the contractions. Or a shot of morphine and gravol. ummm hard choice Ha. I opted for the epidural obvisouly and so off I went and was finally given my own room. Fast forward a bit I got the epidural which was absolute heaven and, since I was on oxy and there was meconium in the fluid I needed to have a nurse in the room at all times to monitor the baby. Sophia ended up not liking the Oxy very much and her heart rate was dipping during contractions. The nurse wanted to check me and possibly put some heart probes on her head for a better reading. Well when she was checking me she said" I am pretty sure I just stuck my finger up her nose" We didn't know what that meant but in a matter of 2-3 mins there were 2-3 other nurses in the room, I had the oxygen mask put on my face and I could hear "Page the pediatrician, page the dr and the obstretrician. Start taking off all her jewlery." I was assessed by the OB and my Dr and her where explaining to us the situation. So apparently she was trying to come out face first, which meant her head was almost touching her back and causing her distress when i had a contraction. Later I would learn that the cord was around her neck as well and that she also had a very short cord, which didn't help. They explained to me that I was unable to deliver her naturally and that I was going to have a c-section. I can't explain how disappointed and defeated I felt. I also felt incredibly guilty for getting the epidural and Oxy so soon as I thought that was the cause, but the Drs reassured me that she was like that before I went into labour. So off i went, the whole c -section experience was surreal, being wheeled into the operating room, all the staff buzzing around people poking and prodding me. After I was prepped Mike was allowed in and he sat right by my head. I was more nervous for him that he was going to pass out then I was for what was about to happen. The nurses and Drs were really great at making me feel comfortable and explained things as they happened. It all happened very quickly and in a matter of 15 mins from being wheeled into the OR she was born. The Dr told me that she was pretty stuck with her face presenting and was most likely that way for a number of weeks. Poor girl.
That is how our precious Sophia came into this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment